Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber

     So I've been excited about reading this story all year, ever since I learned it was about safari hunting in Africa (something I've always dreamed about doing one day), and needless to say it didn't disappoint me. It did, however shock me and make me think about hunting in ways I never have before, things that may now pop into my head come time in the deer stand this coming winter.
     The characters in this story are incredible. I mean I hated the people they we're supposed to be, but they we're developed so well. On an initial level, I can kind of relate to Macomber. That initial nervousness the hunter gets when getting ready to take his animal is simply inevitable. Even white tailed deer hunting, I still get a little shaky in the hands and have to really keep my breathing steady when you see that deer in your crosshairs (buck fever my family has always called it).
     So for that, I show no disrespect to Macomber, however when he runs from the animal that he made the conscious decision to shoot it the first place, that's my problem. So yes, Macomber is a coward. But lets bring Margot into this. She completely takes advantage of her husbands cowardice, far past anything that someone should do to help the other "learn." She kisses the guide and then sleeps with him the next night. I feel like something about that just isn't kosher. Not to offend anyone, but when Macomber calls her a "bitch," he's right. 100% right. Any good wife doesn't sleep around because their husband is a coward.
     Then in the end comes the climax of the action, filled with excitement, disappointment and irony. Macomber finds his courage, like a "dam breaking" he says and no longer has any fear in his body, what his wife has been looking for in him all along. But now she realizes she's losing control of her advantage over him. Thus begins his "happy" life, which is soon cut "short" when he is getting ready to take down the buffalo with his new found courage. Except instead his wife shoots him, on "accident."
     The characters are such morons, all except for Wilson who is just the rugged, independent man who facilitates all this action and helps create the great story that this is even despite the tragic downfalls of Macomber and Margot. I'll end my final short-story blog on this: if you and your spouse have a bad relationship, and especially if they are frequently cheating on you, don't take them hunting. It could end poorly.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your analysis Luke. As I have only been bird hunting a couple of times, I cannot attest to the courage necessary to approach one's target (I'd be a fool to try to convince you that it took nerve to approach those wounded doves ha). It is fascinating to listen to you, a person with first hand experience hunting big game, talk about the emotions and thoughts that come when taking part in such a hunt. I can see why you were so anxious to read this story, as there is a lot that you can relate to apart from the running from your target of course. Thanks for the awesome insight!

    ReplyDelete