Saturday, April 30, 2011

Lazy Daisy, Crazy Daisy

     I've always been a dog person, more specifically a big dog person. We had a cat once, but it made multiple members of my family bleed and ran away within a month, so we took that as a sign. Since I was born, my family had hosted no dogs other than Golden Retrievers and Labradors; little frou-frou, ankle-biting canine pests were never our type, and to be honest, we scoffed at the families that had them sometimes. Of course, only by the work of my baby sister did we end up getting a little surprise at Christmas last year, a Maltepoo (Maltese and Poodle, what could be worse), puppy we decided to call Daisy.
    My brother and I did not welcome Daisy into the family like we should have; we already had a Black Lab named Shadow that my brother and I love to death, but no... Claire needs a dog that's going to stay little forever. So thus, we had to deal with Daisy.
     To be honest though, my liking for Daisy came very quickly. She would lay on my chest and fall asleep right along with me on those warm nights I would spend watching TV on the couch; as my mother started to say "she probably thinks you're her mama." I still resent that statement, but regardless Daisy and I bonded quickly, and I have come to love her for the odd dog she is today.
     Saying that dog is the weirdest animal I know would probably be an understatement. Like illustrated in the previous paragraph, she has a more calm side to her, but boy can that change fast. Whenever we go out to play fetch with Shadow, she will simply wait by his side til he takes off running after the ball, and then follow him biting his ankles the entire way. Shadow doesn't seem to mind, but honestly I think he's too dumb to know what's going on (that's why we love him).
     Having a quirky dog comes at a price though, one that can be gross and unsanitary at times. Daisy loves new people with a passion, and when I mean love I mean loses control of her bodily functions love. Multiple people have been struck by the monster that is her bladder control: as she jumps on your leg, screaming with her eyes, "Hold me please! I'm adorable and fluffy!," don't be fooled. Those who are will pick her up and promptly be sprinkled by a stream of dog urine. I don't know if that dog thinks it's funny or she legitimately has a problem, but either way it's gross, and we just kind of deal with it.
     As disgusting as that is, it's just one of those oddities that has made Daisy the dog that we've come to love today. Even though Jake and I despised her existence at first, I think we have both come to accept her and her quirky self as someone that fits right in with the Hockett family. And besides, Shadow is really dumb. He needs someone there to help him out in those tough doggy-life decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment