Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Gettin' Modern

    So I’ve definitely never been anyone who’s huge into the art scene, but then again I’ve never had anything against it. I mean I’ll look at a piece of art for a minute or so and try to find out what it means but mostly just because its aesthetically pleasing, but just can’t stand and stare for an hour like some. I still enjoy art though, don’t get me wrong. I’m a huge doodler, so there’s something down in me that can show my interest in it. All this being said, my trip to the Modern was... interesting.
    The first thing I noticed about the modern was the people there; they’re really weird, especially the children. For example, before we even entered the building, my friends and I were just chilling in the echo tower when a small, lanky child with curly hair, braces and glasses as think as soda cans popped out from behind the wall and screamed in attempt to scare us. We walked away quietly. Also, my friend claimed to have made awkward eye contact with a small child wearing a cowboy hat with regular clothes throughout the afternoon. Needless to say, I tried my best not to judge.
    To the real point though, which was the art inside the museum on its walls, or in this case possibly on the floor, or suspended mid air. That was the first thing I had come to love at the Modern: it wasn’t normal. One very interesting piece was what appeared to be a sea foam green wave of cellophane along the ground in one room. Little did I know that at a closer look, they were all individually wrapped candies, and according to a friends knowledge, are meant to be taken. We took our candies, and I kept looking at the “art.” It confused me, but I liked it.
    We proceeded on upstairs where I found my favorite piece, ones man’s depiction of Noah’s Ark. Not only were the animals beautiful (I’m a sucker for anything nature related, but when I looked past them, there was something incredibly intriguing about the background. You could see the ensuing dangers of the storm, and it struck a fear into my eyes I’m sure similar to Noah’s as he got on. Actually he was probably a lot more scared, seeing the he was actually there. But either way, I was dumbfounded by how the background of something could simply make me feel like that.
    Lastly, a piece that had me thinking was the book with wing sculpture. Especially the way the museum presents it, it looks holy and divine floating there by itself. The first thing I though of was that it was trying to say something about reading. Maybe that reading gives you the wings you need to fly. The ironic thing is that it’s made of lead so it never could fly, what I thought could possibly represent our generations disrespect for the written word. Whatever it meant, that one really had my brain churning.
    Among many other pieces at the Modern, I definitely walked out feeling I had not wasted my time. Talking and reading about modernism so much, it was good to put pictures with words. Enjoying the museum as much as I did, I felt an oncoming excitement to continually pursue modernism this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment